• Can my spouse and children obtain U.S. Citizenship through the EB-5 program? +

    Yes. Children under the age of 21 and your spouse are eligible for a conditional green card and permanent residency through the initial investment. Separate investments are not required.
  • How long does it take to receive a conditional green card? +

    To make the investment and receive your conditional green card an I-526 petition must be filed with the USCIS. The entire process can take less than a year, and in many cases can be only a few months, if filed correctly.
  • Why apply for a visa through the EB-5 program? +

    The EB-5 visa program is an expedited method for obtaining a U.S. Green Card and U.S. Citizenship. Unlike many other visa programs, there is no waiting list or sponsor requirement, which allows the opportunity for investors to live freely anywhere in the US within months after the visa application is approved.
  • How do I know if my Project is located in a Targeted Employment Area? +

    Contact Columbia Willamette Investments to determine if your Project is located in a TEA.
  • What is a Targeted Employment Area (“TEA”)? +

    A Targeted Employment Area is defined by law as “a rural area or an area that has experienced high unemployment of at least 150 percent of the national average”.
  • What is a Regional Center? +

    A Regional Center is a designation granted to an entity that has completed a rigorous application process with the USCIS. Regional Centers are approved by USCIS to invest EB-5 capital in selected geographic areas and industries. A Regional Center will aggregate individual EB-5 investors to make investments into USCIS approved projects.
  • Must I speak English? +

    No, the USCIS does not require you to speak English in order to be eligible for the EB-5 program. However, all documents submitted with your EB-5 application (Form I-526) must be English documents signed by the investor. Any non-English documents need to be accompanied by a certified translation.
  • Can money be gifted by a parent or other relative be used for an EB-5 investment? +

    Yes, provided that any applicable gift taxes are paid. It must also be demonstrated that the gift is an actual "arms-length" transaction and is not a mere ruse or that the gifted funds will be given back after permanent resident status is granted.
  • If I want to move to the United States and invest in an EB-5 project with the Columbia Willamette Regional Center, do I have to live in Oregon? +

    No. The EB-5 visa program allows investors to maintain their Permanent Residency by living anywhere of their choosing within the United States.
  • What issue typically causes the most problems when applying for an EB-5 visa? +

    The most common problem area for investors has been insufficient documentation of the source of funds. Many people try to disclose the least possible information only to have the file returned with a request for further information. It is better to provide too much information rather than too little information. In this era of terror alerts and suspicions about money laundering, USCIS adjudicators require a well-documented source of funds.
  • How long must I remain in the United States each year? +

    The first requirement of any investor after they receive the visa at the United States overseas consulate office is to enter the United States within 180 days of visa issuance from the consulate. The investor must then establish residency in the United States. Evidence of intent to reside includes opening bank accounts, obtaining a driver’s license or social security number, paying state and federal income taxes, and renting or buying a home. The United States resident may work overseas if required based upon the nature of the business or profession. However, all permanent residents must remain in the U.S. for more than 6 months out of each year, or they may be deemed to have abandoned their permanent residency status.
  • Is my investment guaranteed? +

    No. The EB-5 legislation requires an “at risk” investment. This does not mean your investment must be risky, but must be without guarantees or redemption rights.
  • Who are the ‘immediate family members’? +

    Your spouse and your unmarried children under the age of 21. Adopted children are eligible.
  • What documents must I gather to process my visa petition? +

    You must collect complete biographical information for each applicant, birth certificates and a marriage certificate if appropriate. The principal applicant must prove the source of the investment funds. To do so, the USCIS requires five years of tax returns, five years of bank records, proof of ownership in any businesses, financial statements for each business and business licenses. The idea is to present a track record of an honest course of dealing. If your capital came from a specific transaction, such as sale of a house, mortgage, inheritance or gift, you must prove the transaction occurred by providing an official document such as a closing statement, contract or deed. Other documents may be required and vary on a case-by-case basis. Your immigration attorney will assess and prepare your documentation to present to the USCIS as part of your EB-5 visa petition.
  • 1

Copyright 2022. All Rights Reserved.